Are you licensed to tow?

Published in Caravan Guard News on   - 3 Comments

How would you rate this article?


  1. Daniel says:

    Very helpful indeed as we all use think our driving licence covers towing a caravan. .tho I passed my test in 1994 so all correct on the license. Just check before buying.

  2. Andy Culley says:

    Another consideration is that if you don’t hold the correct licence you are uninsured (even if you have paid your premium)
    If you check your insurance certificate it will say “providing the driver holds, or has held and is not disqualified from holding, a licence to drive that class of vehicle” So if you don’t have the correct category you cannot comply with that condition.
    Many motorhome owners have fallen foul of the 3500Kg MAM rule in respect of driving licence category, insurance companies never ask WHAT licence you hold do the Year?

    • Liz @ Caravan Guard says:

      Thanks Andy, you’re right to point out that if you don’t hold the correct driving licence it could invalidate your insurance. When putting a motorhome owner on cover Caravan Guard does ask if all drivers have the necessary licence to drive the size of motorhome being insured.

Leave a Reply

Why choose us?
Number 1 on ReviewCentre
Number one for service and value
RSA Logo
Reassuringly good cover from a leading insurer
Award winning customer service
Award winning company
Web Secure online quotes
Safe and secure online quotes
Trusted family business since 1984
Confidence in a trusted family business
Highly rated claims service
Highly rated claims service
Money back guarantee
Money back guarantee
NCC Logo
Member of the National Caravan Council
Heart Research Logo
Heart Research donation for every paperless policy
Plain English policy icon
Plain English policy and documents
Great value icon
Great value for money