Brexit and driving your motorhome or campervan in Europe

Published in Caravan Guard News, Industry News, Motorhoming Top Tips on   - 16 Comments

How would you rate this article?

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (19 votes, average: 4.68 out of 5)


  1. Martin Cheesman says:

    Thank you – – very useful. I was not aware of the need to carry an accident form – where can I can one of those please

    • Liz @ Caravan Guard says:

      Hi Martin, A European Accident Form is not compulsory, so you do not need to have one in your car.

  2. arnold geddes says:

    Thank you for the information it covers most of things i think i need to know

  3. Robert C Lindsay says:

    I have just got a green card insurance document as I am currently in Spain, however they do not tell you that you can only get a green card via the web if you are in the UK , otherwise you have to telephone them directly and it will cost you £15 UK pounds to get one sent to your address in Spain. This should be included in the information pack listed above.

    • Liz @ Caravan Guard says:

      Hi Robert, a Green Card document always had to be set up and issued via the telephone, costing £15 to send to a customers UK policy address. Due to the uncertainty surrounding Brexit we worked hard to set up a free online service to help customers go ahead with their travel plans. We are hopeful Green Cards will not be needed to travel in Europe but we are encouraging those travelling at the end of the month and in April to obtain as a precaution. We viewed this service as proactive and beneficial to our customers.

      We wouldn’t normally send a green card to an EU address, but due to the current exceptional circumstances we’ve agreed this was possible with our underwriters RSA, and the fee is to cover those administration and secure international postal costs. Our information pack has been well received by most customers and we’ve tried to keep it concise, providing two delivery options for those in the EU, one of them being free.

  4. Pat says:

    Thank-you, very informative.

  5. Fred Coote says:

    Good information. Wish I had seen this earlier.

  6. Brian says:

    Excellent information and concise if you was to travel prior to the 29 March

  7. Mike Crocker says:

    Brilliant and concise document. Thank you.

  8. Tudor Williams says:

    A very good article showing what we need todo

  9. William Ireland says:

    Good clear article. We need to be properly informed and this article does exactly that.

  10. andrew duffin says:

    i will be 76 in december when my driving licence is due for renewal but an international driving licence is for 3 years from application or until licence renewal date .so for me only 8 months as we go to france in may not very fair!

  11. Ron says:

    An excellent report with full information of requirements and even a direct link to order a green card.

  12. Allan humphreys says:

    Hi I didn’t realise that you needed separate driving permits for France and Spain until I called at the post office to get a license
    It seems strange that you need one for each country even though they are both in the EU.
    Allan Humphreys

  13. Peter Greenwood says:

    This is just the information we require in these uncertain times for a safe, and hopefully stressless holiday.

  14. Derek Baker says:

    Excellent information, covers all bases

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Why Choose us?
Defaqto 2015 Logo
Caravan insurance with a 5 Star Rating
Number 1 on ReviewCentre
Number 1 for service and value
RSA Logo
Reassuringly good cover from a leading insurer
Award winning customer service
Award winning customer service
Norton Secure online quotes
Safe and secure online quotes
Trusted family business since 1984
Confidence in a trusted family business
claiments rate our service as good or exceptional
Claimants rate our service as good or exceptional
Great value icon
Great value for money
Money back guarantee
Money back guarantee
NCC Logo
Member of the National Caravan Council
Heart Research Logo
Heart Research donation with every paperless policy
Plain English policy icon
Plain English policy and documents