Who we are
Caravan Guard Limited is a Financial Conduct Authority regulated firm (reference number 310409), also trading as 'Leisuredays' of New Road, Halifax, HX1 2JZ ("we, us or our"). We are the data controller, which means we are responsible for deciding how your data is used.
Our core policies are underwritten by a single insurer, Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (RSA), some additional covers we offer are provided by other insurance providers as detailed below. ("Insurance Provider" or “Insurer”)
- Gadget and leisure equipment - UK General
- Home emergency cover - UK General
- Legal expenses - ARC Legal Assistance Ltd
- Motorhome breakdown - Inter Partner Assistance
Throughout this privacy and security notice the term “you” or “your” refers to any customer interacting with us on or off line, and whose data we may hold.
Use of our website
Cookies are small text files that allow us to identify your computer, recognise repeat users, observe anonymous user behaviour and compile aggregate data about users in order to improve the service we provide. The data we collect using cookies does not identify individual users and is only used for tracking, analysing and marketing of the site.
Most web browsers will accept cookies, but if you would prefer we did not collect data by this method, you can disable this function within your browser settings. However, without cookies, you may not be able to use the full functionality of our site, including personalisation of the web content to reflect your personal usage.
By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
The security of your personal and financial details is of paramount importance to us. That is why our online quote and buy pages use the most powerful SSL encryption commercially available today.
Server-Gated Cryptography (SGC) enables 128 or 256 bit SSL encryption (depending on the browser and host server operating system). This enables us to provide the strongest level on encryption available to you.
It works by automatically scrambling the information you send over the web so it is meaningless. Once it arrives, we have the key to de-scramble the words. When you fill in any personal information or payment details, you will be in a secure area of the site.
You can check this by looking for a padlock in the bottom corner of your web browser and that the web address starts with "https:// " – the letter 's' stands for secure. When you send your information over the web, it will be encrypted to protect anyone from reading it. All the information that we save for you is protected by firewalls and a wide range of IT security measures.
The information we collect and how we collect it
We need to collect data about you so that we can provide you with insurance services and information about these services.
Under data protection law we are known as the 'data controller' of the personal information we collect about you. As a data controller we have certain legal responsibilities concerning how we collect, use and share your personal information. we receive personal information about you from:
- You directly - The information you provide when you contact us
- Third parties - Information which a third party can lawfully pass to us
Your information comprises all the details we hold about you and your transactions, including information obtained from third parties. Although not an exhaustive list, the types of personal information we collect include: your name, email address, phone number, postal address, and information to assess your insurance risk.
We may wish to collect types of personal information known as "special category personal information" for which there is additional protection under data protection law. The relevant types of special category personal information are: medical, fraud and criminal records information.
If you contact us electronically, we may collect your electronic information identifier (your IP Address) aswell as your email address and / or phone number.
How we use your personal information
We think your information is as important as you are, so want to make you aware of how we may use your personal information:
- To inform you about our insurance services,
- To provide you with the service requested,
- To undertake administration and generally service and maintain your insurance policy, including responding to any query that you may raise and managing any claims you may make under your insurance policy,
- To develop and test products and services, in specific, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes,
- Recover debt,
- Prevent and detect crime.
Where you have provided your prior consent:
- We will use your contact information to notify you of our services and offers, via post, phone, email or text, this is what is commonly referred to as ‘marketing’. In particular we will let you know about caravan insurance products and related services that we believe may interest you.
We may ask you to confirm or update your consent choices, if or when you interact with us in the future, to ensure that your choices remain upto date. If at any other time you decide that you do not want us to contact you for marketing purposes, please get in touch using the details in the 'Contact us' section of this privacy notice.
We will not disclose your information to any other party except:
- Where we have your consent;
- To service your contract; for example your policy underwriter will require this information to provide you with a quote and / or insurance cover; or we may use an external software provider to retain your information;
- To credit reference and fraud prevention agencies and other companies that provide a service to us, our partners or you;
- To carefully selected market researchers, in order for us to develop and improve our product or service;
- Where we are required or permitted to do so by law
How long will we keep your personal information?
Where you have expressed an interest in our services, or where we have received your contact details for us to provide you with information about our services, we will keep your information until you ask us to stop sending you such information.
Where you have purchased an insurance product, we will keep your personal information for so long as we are providing you with insurance services, plus an additional 7 years, to deal with any queries, complaints or legal claims you may have.
We may keep your data for longer than 7 years if we cannot delete it for legal, regulatory or technical reasons. we may also keep it for research or statistical purposes. If we do, we will make sure your privacy is protected and only use it for those purposes.
Legal grounds to process
We are required to tell you the legal grounds relied upon to process your personal information and why processing is necessary, we have listed these below:
- Our legitimate business interests, or those of a third party, where these interests are not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms in relation to the protection of your personal information. our legitimate business interests include enabling us to provide you with information about our insurance services (marketing), responding to any query that you may raise with us and, where requested by you, providing you with insurance services. Third party legitimate business interests include the promotion of insurance services to you so that third parties, such as holiday parks, have sufficient insurance coverage at their site(s); and/or
- Our performance of an insurance contract made with you. This includes providing you with insurance (including undertaking administration and generally servicing and maintaining your policy) and/or us taking steps at your request towards, and in anticipation of, providing you with insurance services; and/or
- Our compliance with legal or regulatory obligations; and /or
For special category personal information (such as criminal convictions), the legal grounds we rely on to process your information are that:
- We need to investigate a potential legal claim or bring or defend a legal claim, this may relate to a claim under your insurance policy, or relate to the investigation and prosecution of fraud. Please note that you do not have to give your consent to us for us to provide our insurance services to you.
Your rights in relation to your personal information
Under certain conditions, you may have the right to request us to:
- Provide you with further details on the use we make of your personal information;
- Provide you with a copy of personal information we have collected about you;
- Update any inaccuracies in the personal information we hold;
- Delete any personal information that we no longer have a lawful ground to use;
- Object to our use of your personal information if our use of your personal information is causing you undue harm. In such a case we must cease using your personal information for that purpose.
If you have any questions in relation to our use of your personal information, or wish to request any of the above, please get in touch using the details in the 'Contact us' section below.
Transfers of personal information`
We may share your personal information with your Insurance Provider.
All personal information supplied by you or received by us about you will be treated in confidence by Us and the Insurance Provider, and will not be disclosed to any third parties except where your consent has been received or where permitted by law.
Where consented or legally permitted, both your insurer and Us, may pass your personal information to other companies for processing on its behalf. Some of these companies may be based outside of the European Union, but in all cases we will ensure that it is kept securely and only used for the purposes for which you provided it. Details of the companies and countries involved can be provided to you on request using the contact details below in the 'Contact us' of this privacy notice.
We may disclose and exchange information with law enforcement agencies and regulatory bodies for the above reasons.
As part of the process of providing you with the product or service requested, we may undertake certain checks or exchange information through various databases including the Motor Insurers Database, and Fraud Detection Agencies.
If you have any questions, or if you would like to find out more about this privacy and security notice you can write to us at:
Data Protection Officer
Caravan Guard and Leisuredays
Or telephone 01422 396 777
Should it be necessary, you also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner's Office, you can find out how to report a concern via their website.