How driving licence changes affect caravan & motorhome owners

Published in Industry News on   - 10 Comments

How would you rate this article?


  1. Eileen says:

    My UK driving licence has expired but I now live in New Zealand. Can I renew it?

    • Lucie @ Caravan Guard says:

      Hi Eileen,

      Many thanks for getting in touch.

      On its website, the DVLA states that in order to renew a UK Licence, you must hold “a valid UK passport” and be “a resident of Great Britain”. See here for further details.


  2. Kenneth Symon says:

    I have just turned 70 should I have renewed my card licence States it will run until 2017by which time I will be 72

  3. Michael kucmyda says:

    Reference your answer to Clive drake there will be a £20fee to pay just done it a fortnight ago I understand it’s only free if you are changing your details ie address

  4. Neil says:

    I had an old style paper licence (pre 1998) but have now obtained a new photo licence. Must I keep my old style paper licence or should I now destroy it?

    • Lucie @ Caravan Guard says:

      Hi Neil,

      The new laws only apply to the paper counterpart of UK Licences, so I would advise that you retain both your old paper style licence and the photo licence. If in doubt, please contact the DVLA with your query using a like at the bottom of the article.

      Many thanks

  5. Clive Drake says:

    I still only have my green paper licence issued in 1977. Does this change affect the old paper licence?

    Thank you.

    • Lucie @ Caravan Guard says:

      Hi Clive,

      Paper driving licences will still remain valid and should not be destroyed.
      If you do choose to apply for a new photo card licence, you can do so via the DVLA free of charge. If you earn any penalty points from June 8 onwards, these will no longer be printed or written on your paper licence but will be recorded online instead.

      I hope this answers your question.

      Many thanks

  6. john says:

    Your article doesn’t make it clear if over 70’s still have to have a medical to renew. Can you elaborate on this please?

    • Lucie @ Caravan Guard says:

      Hi John,

      There isn’t a huge amount of information available from the DVLA on this particualr issue. We gather from GOV.UK that those over 70 will still need to “meet the minimum eyesight requirement” but so long as you aren’t prevented from driving for any reason, from what we can see, there’s no need for a full medical. See here for further details. Please do refer your question to the you DVLA just to be sure, you can contact them by clicking here.

      Sorry I can’t be of more assistance.

      Many thanks for getting in touch.


Leave a Reply

Why choose us?
Number 1 on ReviewCentre
Number one for service and value
RSA Logo
Reassuringly good cover from a leading insurer
Award winning customer service
Award winning company
Web Secure online quotes
Safe and secure online quotes
Trusted family business since 1984
Confidence in a trusted family business
Highly rated claims service
Highly rated claims service
Money back guarantee
Money back guarantee
NCC Logo
Member of the National Caravan Council
Heart Research Logo
Heart Research donation for every paperless policy
Plain English policy icon
Plain English policy and documents
Great value icon
Great value for money