Motorhome insurance FAQs

How do I work out which is my motorhome’s engine manufacturer, converter and model?

The motorhome converter is the company responsible for building the motorhome body on the chassis provided by the base vehicle manufacturer (common base vehicles are provided by the likes of Fiat, Peugeot, VW, Mercedes, Renault) in the case of coachbuilt motorhomes or A class motorhomes.

In the case of panel or derived vans it refers to the company that converted the rear of a vehicle manufacturer’s van into a living space.

The converter should be indicated on your vehicle documents and have a logo on the outside of your motorhome. For example, an ‘Auto Trail Excel 590’ motorhome is built on a Fiat base and engine. So in this instance ‘Fiat’ is the base vehicle manufacturer, ‘Auto Trail’ is the converter, and ‘Excel 590’ represent the model name and model number.

« back
Why Choose us?
Defaqto 2015 Logo
Caravan insurance with a 5 Star Rating
Number 1 on ReviewCentre
Number 1 for service and value
RSA Logo
Reassuringly good cover from a leading insurer
Award winning customer service
Award winning customer service
Norton Secure online quotes
Safe and secure online quotes
Trusted family business since 1984
Confidence in a trusted family business
claiments rate our service as good or exceptional
Claimants rate our service as good or exceptional
Great value icon
Great value for money
Money back guarantee
Money back guarantee
NCC Logo
Member of the National Caravan Council
Heart Research Logo
Heart Research donation with every paperless policy
Plain English policy icon
Plain English policy and documents