All about VIN Chip
VIN Chip was launched in 2015 and their tamper proof stickers and hidden electronic radio-frequency identification (RFID) chips feature in all new caravans from 2016 onwards.
In this video, managing director of NCC CRiS Sean Bailey, explains what’s included in the VIN Chip and the VIN Chip Plus kits, and how they help to identify and recover any caravans that are stolen, as well as providing a visible deterrent to thieves looking to steal tourers.
VIN Chip has both visible and invisible markings containing a touring caravan’s unique 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number – commonly referred to as the CRiS number.
New caravans will already have standard VIN Chip pack fitted but owners of pre-2016 caravans can buy the pack for £24.99.
- A master window label and a gas bottle locker warning label, containing your caravan’s 17 digit VIN, plus a QR Code, which when scanned with a smart phone, will bring up a web page with information about your caravan, including the make, model and weight.
- RFID Chip, which contains your encrypted VIN and can be scanned from the outside of your caravan by law enforcement agencies from 60 metres or at speeds of up to 60 mph – making your caravan very easy to identify.
- 10 tamper evident window lozenges to use in any window in the caravan, except the opaque bathroom window.
VIN Chip Plus
For added identification VIN Chip Plus is the upgrade kit, which enables caravan owners who already have VIN Chip (either fitted by the manufacturer or having paid to fit to a pre 2016 caravan) to mark internal and removable items with the unique VIN.
This pack costs £39.99 and includes:
- An additional RFID Chip encrypted with your caravan’s VIN.
- A microdot pen, containing 2000 microdots in a UV glue with your VIN number written on it ! This is used to draw on the inside of your caravan or on items you might use inside your caravan. When dry a UV light will illuminate the markings.
- A UV security pen to mark items which you take on your caravanning holidays, such as TVs, computers, cameras, with your home postcode or other identifier, which is not your VIN.
- Tamper resistant labels which can be placed in lockers, under the bed and other areas around the caravan. These contain you VIN number.
- A UV torch so you can see where you’ve marked your property
- A generic warning label to place go in the window of your caravan door to show any-would be thief that your caravan is fully protected by the scheme.
Caravan thieves will try to remove all sign of the caravan’s identity, but with VIN Chip Plus it’s almost impossible to detect and remove all the extra markings.
Here at Caravan Guard we offer a five per cent discount on your caravan insurance if you fit the VIN Chip Plus kit to your caravan.